Friday, December 10, 2010

Scrappy Quilted Christmas Potholders


I think I might really have caught the crafting and sewing bug. I am actually lying awake in bed at night, thinking about the long list of projects that I want to complete. (Well, that and that Katy Perry song that I can't get out of my head.)

Anyhow, my friend Stephanie from Built to Last sent me some adorable quilted potholders last year. I proudly hang them on my Hoosier cabinet so that I can look at them every day.


Since I look at her gorgeous potholders everyday, I have been thinking about making some of them. I was happy to notice that Stephanie's do not have binding. I made my own binding for the first quilt I ever made and it was a long haul, and one I am not ready to repeat.

I looked around on the Web for a tutorial that would make a potholder similar to hers, and I just couldn't find one. But I did find this one, made by Melanie at Texas Freckles, and I felt like I could do it!

Tah-dah!!!


Melanie's tutorial involves piecing scraps one piece at a time and sewing them across the Insulbrite, then laying the next scrap right sides together on top of the first scrap, and so on, and so on. In this potholder below I started with the Santa scrap in the center and then kept moving along.


I used a piece of the green and white polka-dot on the back. And look, binding!!!


Aren't they cute???


Oh, and yes, I know they don't look like Stephanie's. I actually ended up making two more yesterday afternoon, and based on hers. Wouldn't you know, I simply looked at hers and USED MY BRAIN to figure out how to copy them. I'll show them to you next week!

Happy creating!

This post is a part of the following link parties:

Get Your Craft on at Today's Creative Blog

Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie

Take A Look Tuesday at the Sugar Bee



1 comment:

I love your feedback!