Friday, August 20, 2010

A Little Friday Love for My Vintage Storybooks

As I promised last week, I am dedicating Fridays here on Vintage Pollyanna to sharing a little love for certain vintage or antique items or collections that I adore. Today I am sharing with you a small part of my collection of vintage children's books!

Here are a few of my favorites. These came from my Mom and Dad over the years. Like many vintage items that I own, some of what I really like about these are the sweet graphics, the "simpler time" feeling they evoke, and the saturated colors.

One of my absolute favorites in this bunch is called "A Farm for Andy." Andy's parents leave their farm in the country and move to the suburbs. Consequently Andy is heartbroken at leaving all of his animal friends behind.


After a few days in his new town (which looks a lot to me like Longmeadow, the town where my home is right now) his parents build a small farm for him in his backyard, complete with chicks, ducklings and a bunny!


I also like "Let's Go to School." The copyright is 1954, which is right around the time that my Mom would have been in school. I look at the illustrations of the little blonde-haired girls and I think of her. Mom was also a schoolteacher. That must explain why I always loved (and still love) school so much!


Another great one is "Mary Had A Little Lamb." This is a teeny tiny book, one of the "Start Right Elf Books." It was published in 1955. When I was thinking about the design for Ella's birthday invitation, I was initially working with the images from this book.


I do have to note that "Farm Friends" and "Puppies and Kittens" are very dear to me. Mom and Dad gave these to me for Ella her first Christmas. They aren't hardcover, but the material is heavier than regular paper. They are from 1940. I want to copy individual pages and frame them for Ella's room.


I hope you have enjoyed this little tour of my vintage storybook favorites! If you have similar books that you have blogged about, please share the link in my comments!

Oh, and I am proud to say that today is my sweetheart Ella's 2nd Birthday! Happy Birthday, baby!

This post is a part of:






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback!